Tamiflu. Common dude come back to the point...ok, ok. Cold and flu is related with throat infection and sore throat also, So let me first clear the difference in these all terminologies.
What's the Difference Between a Cold, Strep Throat, and Tonsillitis?
- A sore throat is often the first sign of a cold. However, a sore throat from a cold often gets better or goes away after the first day or two. Other cold symptoms such as a runny nose and congestion may follow the sore throat.
- Strep throat, which is an infection due to streptococcus bacteria, is another cause of sore throats and tonsillitis. With strep throat, the sore throat is often more severe and persists.
- Tonsillitis is a painful inflammation or infection of the tonsils, the tissue masses located at the back of the throat.
What is the treatment?
Few basic things, if you have cold and flu symptoms from more than 3-4 days then don't read this further and just consult a physician. Now there are two possible state of the symptoms, one is before getting consistent fever and other is after getting consistent fever. If you do not have consistent fever or if you have fever less than 100 Fahrenheit then possibly use of anti-inflammatory drug and precautions should be good enough to get cured but if you have fever more than or equal to 100 Fahrenheit and consistent then you should also take anti-infective.
How to choose Anti-Inflammatory?
The best one I have seen to be performing is acetaminophen(or paracetamol) which as analgesic and anti-pyretic (ant fever) and works like wonder. But this is not enough because usually based on cough, cold, congestion, you have to choose the anti-inflammatory very wisely. Following are basic rules:
- only fever - paracetamol is good enough
- only cold, running nose - cetirizine is good enough
- cold and mild fever - paracetamol + cetirizine
- cold, chest congestion, fever - Cheston cold (by cipla) is too good which contains paracetamol + cetirizine + phenylephrine
- fever, cold, chest congestion, headache - Okacet cold (which contains caffeine also to induce the sleep), or Sinarest which is like too good drug for common usage.
- fever, body ache, headache - paracetamol + ibuprofen (marketed as combiflam)
- throat pain, fever - combiflam
How to choose antibiotic?
As a suggested use of Anti-infective you can try Amoxicilin as a mild antibiotic, but for me Azythromycin worked like wonder. But if you have taken these before you can try something more powerful as 3rd generation antibiotic like Cefpodoxime.
And finally the food, what to take what not to take?
Disclaimer: This post for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.